Whether you consider yourself a fan of the Survivor show or not, trying out the Survivor drinking game is an experience you won’t regret. Let’s learn how it’s played.
At its peak, the Survivor show attracted an average of 51.7 million viewers per episode. How many of them enjoyed the show with a drink in their hands? Of course, we’ll never know.
But what I know for certain is that if I ended up on a deserted island like this show’s contestants, I would definitely crave a good drinking game, such as the Survivor drinking game, which takes watching this reality show to another level.
What You’ll Need to Play Survivor Drinking Game?
All you need to play this game is:
- The Survivor TV show
- A device to watch it
- Alcoholic drinks you prefer (beer, wine, spirits, cocktails, etc.)
- At least one friend to join you (the more, the better!)
- A comfy place to sit and watch the show
1. Why Survivor?
When I first suggested to my friends that we could try the Survivor drinking game on our next game night, one of them immediately said: “Right, because being drunk is the only way I’d ever watch that!” Nevertheless, this mate enjoyed the show the most, even before he got any wasted.
Survivor, the iconic CBS reality show running continuously since 2000, is effortlessly entertaining (my personal favorite is the 28th “Cagayan” season), and if you add your preferred drinks and companions, you certainly cannot go wrong with it.
But another reason why I think this show works great when turned into a drinking game is that this way, you basically become a part of it since drinking plays its role in the competition, too:
- The competitors are occasionally rewarded with prizes that may include alcohol, just like you are rewarded with alcohol in the Survivor drinking game when you catch the triggering phrase or situation.
- Some of the show’s most memorable scenes started with alcohol consumption, whether we’re talking about arguments, romance, controversies, or plot twists. These will be much more relatable if you have had a few drinks, too.
- Losing control after drinking has cost some of the contestants their chance of winning. Will you do better in the Survivor drinking game?
All in all, turning the TV contest into a real competition you enjoy at home with your friends is a new experience, even for those familiar with the movie drinking games in general. Without further ado, let’s finally get to the rules of this game.
First, prepare all you need to play the game:
- Get the Survivor TV show ready.
- Wait for all the players to find a comfortable spot in front of the screen.
- Prepare the drinks and place them somewhere where everyone can reach them.
When you’re ready, just press play and start watching the show.
How to Play Survivor Drinking Game: Rules and Gameplay
Like most drinking games, Survivor has straightforward rules you can easily understand even without any previous experience.
While watching the Survivor show, simply keep an eye out for the following sights, situations, or phrases: You know it’s time to grab your drink when you notice any of them.
Drink when you hear any competitor or the narrator say some of the following:
- “The Game”
- “Once-in-a-lifetime experience”
Also, drink when someone:
- Complains about someone else
- Betrays someone
- Starts crying
- Forms a new bond
- Contemplates resigning
- Finds an Immunity idol
- Argue with someone
- Wins a challenge
Have a double drink if:
- A blurred private part of a contestant is shown
- Medical assistance is called
- Someone shares a sob story of their life
- Someone is eliminated through the Blindside
Obviously, you can add any custom rules to the game, especially if you’re already familiar with the show and, thus, know what to expect.
Also, you can make the game more intricate if you and your friends divide the competitors, only drinking when “your” character says or does something of the above.
When players forget to drink when they’re supposed to (or drink when they are not), you can penalize them with “bad points” or funny tasks like singing, squatting, wearing a silly hat, etc.
Playing a drinking game with your friends can help you make many good memories. But to ensure that it’s an equally pleasant experience for all of you, consider the following precautions and tips:
- The game’s rules do not define the type, volume, or amount of alcohol you should drink while playing it. Consider your level of tolerance to avoid excessive drinking and nasty hangovers.
- You can always replace an alcoholic drink with a non-alcoholic beverage to continue playing when you’ve had enough for the evening.
- Don’t drink on an empty stomach. Have some snacks on the table, too, to help your organism cope with the alcohol better.
- If you or your co-players feel like you don’t want to drink anymore, respect it.
- Avoid driving after playing a drinking game. Arrange your ride home in advance, or play the game only in the place where you can stay for the night.
If you’re playing the Survivor drinking game in competitive mode, award penalty points whenever someone does not follow the rules or collect good points for being the first one to grab your glass when it’s time for drinking.
To determine the winner when the show stops, just count the good/bad points and see who has the highest total score.
Of course, you don’t have to compete at all. Enjoy the Survivor drinking game as a fun experience, and consider everyone who makes it to the closing credits a winner. If you like this game, you can also try the Bring it On drinking game or the Twilight drinking game next for a similarly entertaining experience.