All ninjas, Naruto Uzumaki, need your support! You can leave your katanas at home, though. You only need your glass and a good mood this time, for we will play the Naruto drinking game.
If you’re, like me, a big fan of Naruto’s epic adventures, you certainly don’t want to miss the opportunity to enjoy the show with your friends in the form of a wild drinking game.
But let’s start with a brief summary of what you need to play the game.
What You’ll Need to Play Naruto Drinking Game?
There’s only a little you need to play this game, making it a universal choice for any occasion. Just ensure you have:
- The Naruto show on any type of media
- Television or projector to watch the show on
- Alcoholic beverages (wine, shots, beer cans – whatever you prefer)
- A few friends willing to join the game
- Some comfortable place to watch the show and play the game
I’ve been a huge Naruto fan for as long as I can remember. As I grew up, people I knew were often surprised to hear that I still watch the show, laughing me off as a big child or a weirdo.
Nevertheless, I was happy to come across a colleague who’s probably even more Naruto-positive than myself. Together, we’ve persuaded a couple of our common friends to try something new on our next get-together, and there it was – our new Naruto drinking game night tradition, which has been going on for more than a year to date.
How did we persuade people who have never even seen the show before to become our long-term Naruto drinking game pals? We didn’t have to – the show convinced them alone.
The intense battles, Naruto’s stubborn perseverance, and even the comic details of the lives of the Hidden Leaf’s residents contribute to the magical, immersive experience that is even multiplied when enjoyed as a part of a drinking game.
But one experience is more than a thousand words, so let’s finally see how this game is played.
Before you start playing the Naruto drinking game:
- Prepare the show
- Wait for all the players to find their comfortable places
- Prepare all the drinks someplace where everyone can reach them
- Press play, and let the game begin!
How to Play Naruto Drinking Game? Rules and Gameplay
Playing drinking games based on TV shows is no rocket science. All that’s required from you is to watch your favorite characters and keep an eye (and an ear) out for special triggering phrases, sights, and situations that indicate you should grab a drink.
Take a sip of your drink whenever you hear some of the following:
- Naruto says: “Believe it” (this is his typical catchphrase)
- Sasuke talks about revenge.
- Naruto expresses his desire to become Hokage (the strongest shinobi in the village).
- Someone gasps.
- Someone mentions nindo (the path of samurai).
Also, drink whenever you encounter some of the following:
- There is a flashback scene.
- A ramen appears or is mentioned.
- Someone makes a jutsu (hand sign).
- Kakashi reads the Icha Icha Paradise book (his favorite).
- Someone gets emotional.
- Ino and Sakura have a dispute.
- Someone throws a kunai knife.
Sip twice when you notice that:
- Sasuke uses his Chidori (his powerful jutsu).
- Naruto uses his Rasengan (his signature jutsu).
- Someone dies.
- Someone’s eye color changes.
Everyone finishes their drinks when:
- The battle ends.
If you’re already familiar with the story and characters, you can come up with your own rules, too. This game is very easy to adapt and customize.
As with any drinking game, a responsible attitude towards drinking is key to enjoying the Naruto game without any unpleasant consequences.
Here are a few tips you should consider to make the game safer and healthier for everyone involved:
- Agree on the type of alcohol that suits all the players.
- Agree on the size of glasses or standard amount of one drink (i.e., is it one sip or one shot?)
- Prepare some non-alcoholic beverages, too, to stay hydrated.
- Prepare some snacks, and never play a drinking game on an empty stomach.
- Don’t continue drinking when you feel you’ve had enough.
- Don’t force or persuade anyone else to play if they express they’ve had enough.
- Don’t drive after playing a drinking game.
- Only play with the people you know and trust.
- Ideally, play the game somewhere you can all stay for the night (a chalet, house of one of the players, etc.)
If you avoid awkward situations caused by excessive drinking and the massive hangover the day after, there’s a good chance you will play the game again and again.
The Naruto drinking game is usually not played competitively. You simply sit back, relax, and enjoy the experience with your friends without bothering about comparisons or challenges.
Nevertheless, there’s nothing wrong with switching things up from time to time. If you feel like competing, create a simple scoring system:
- Each player is assigned a bundle of rules they should follow only.
- Whenever a player correctly reacts to some of the triggering situations, they earn +1 point.
- Whenever they forget to drink when they should or drink when they should not, they lose -1 point.
The person who has the highest score wins the game in the end.Of course, you could try many other competitive drinking games if that’s what interests you. How about learning to play the Slap Cup or the Beer Pong next?