Are you ready to embark on a journey through Middle-earth? If so, you’ve come to the right place, and seeing as you’re here, why not make things even more enjoyable by introducing drink into the mix?
The Lord of the Rings is my all-time favorite movie series. I could recite every last word of each one. So, I always feel as though I have the upper hand when playing the drinking game, and I am always one step ahead of my teammates.
So, think of me like Gandalf as I lead you through all the rules of the Lord of the Rings Drinking game.
Come wee hobbits, let’s drink our way to Mordor!
What You’ll Need to Play the Lord of the Rings Drinking Game?
Before we begin our legendary quest, you’ll want to make sure you’re loaded with everything you need to play.
Firstly, you’ll need to find somewhere to download and watch any of the Lord of the Rings, or if you’re as much of a nerd as I am, you’ll have every edition of the movies on DVD. However, you can easily download it on Amazon if you’re not old school like me.
Next, you’ll need something to drink, of course. I always find it best to include several choices, such as spirits, mixers, and beer. You can include shots, too, if you wish. However, be wary of keeping these for the less frequent events; otherwise, the night could be over before the hobbits have even left the Shire.
Lastly, you’ll need to ensure you’ve got enough cups for all the players. If you want to make the game even more immersive, why not impress everyone with these medieval wine goblets? That way, everyone has the same size drink too.
Okay, we’re ready to begin.
How to Play Lord of The Rings Drinking Game?
The best thing about these drinking games is that there aren’t many rules to follow, and you can practically make them up yourself. However, I’m here to give you some inspiration and ideas, so below, I will show you how I like to play the Lord of the Rings drinking game to provide you with a head start.
Of course, these are incredibly long films, so you should consider this when considering the rules. For example, drinking vodka shots each time you hear the word Hobbit is probably not a bright idea.
So, here are some of the events and scenes we drink to when they appear on the screen.
Take a Drink When:
- Gandalf saves the day
- Samwise makes a mistake
- Gollum says, “My precious.”
- Frodo has a vision of the Eye of Sauron
- Gandalf smokes his pipe
- When an Ork dies (perhaps leave this one out when it comes to the war scenes)
- When Samwise says, “Mr. Frodo.”
- When Gimli talks about the dwarves
- Gollum barks/coughs
- Legolas and Gimli don’t see eye to eye
- Mary and Pippin bicker
- Someone wants to steal the one ring from Frodo
- You see Mordor on the horizon
- Someone sings
- The fellowship is reunited
Other Versions of The Lord of The Rings Drinking Game
There’s another version of this game that I played recently, and I prefer it to the standard game.
In this version, each person picks a character, preferably one of the fellowship members, as their quite often on screen. Once you’ve picked your character, you drink when they perform a specific action.
Below are some more ideas for when to drink.
- When he puts on the ring
- When he has tears in his eyes
- He says, “Gandalf.”
- He feels sorry for Gollum
- When he gets angry at a hobbit
- When he casts magic
- When he rolls his eyes
- When he says, “Mr. Frodo.”
- He saves Frodo
- He argues with Gollum.
- When he fires an arrow
- When he uses his sightseeing powers
- When he winds up, Gimli
- He shows off his Axe
- He’s offended by elves
- He brags to Legolas
- When he does something epic
- When he draws his sword
- When he flicks his hair
Of course, there are other characters you can choose from, such as Orks, Boromir, Gollum, Mary, and Pippin, but this was just to give you an idea.
In my usual fashion, I warn you of the dangers of drinking games, as getting too carried away could end up messy. Here are some tips you can use to ensure everyone has an awesome night risk-free.
- Drink in Moderation: Keep the drinks low in alcohol volume, especially during the more frequent scenes.
- Stay Hydrated: Keep a glass of water at the table at all times, and try to drink plenty of it between beverages.
- Arrange a Lift: Remember to arrange a cab or a sober friend to come and pick you up at the end of the night.
- Eat Something: Refraining from beginning your drinking game on an empty stomach is crucial. If you’re the host, order a few pizzas. That way, you can play the pizza box drinking game when you’re done watching the Lord of the Rings.
To Sum Things up
So, there we have it; you’re ready to head to Mordor armed with everything you need to concur the power of the ring.
Remember, ensure the safety of all your guests during any drinking game. Enjoy the Lord of the Rings marathon.
Maybe for your next games night, you’ll want to check out the Harry Potter drinking game instead.