Drinking games are a great way to socialize and enjoy a good time over a few drinks with friends. It’s a chance to let loose, push yourself out of your comfort zone, and get to know others.
Personally, I think they’re an excellent way to liven up any party. So, the next time you and your friends gather and run out of things to say, why not suggest a fun drinking game such as the boat race drinking game?
What I love the most is that the boat race-drinking game involves a bit of competition, similar to beer pong.
It’s important to keep safety in mind, though, when you’re playing any drinking games responsibly and know your limits.
The boat race drinking game is a game that is usually played in teams of even numbers, so you will need more than four players for it to work correctly. Ideally, this game is more suited to larger groups.
The main logic of the game is to finish your drinks in a pattern or sequence, and most importantly, your team should finish their drinks before the other team.
What You’ll Need to Play The Boat Race Drinking Game?
The good part is you barely need any equipment to play this drinking game, so you don’t need to spend money on excessive accessories.
All you need to play is two teams of people (preferably equal numbers on each team, and more than two), a long playing surface, such as a garden table, beer pong table, or dining table, and of course, the most crucial element of any drinking game, alcohol!
I will tell you now, I’ve tried playing this game with shots, and it does not work, so long drinks with mixers or bottles of beer are recommended.
How to Play The Boat Race Drinking Game?
Below is a step-by-step guide on how to get started and play the boat race drinking game.
- Split your party into two teams. Each team will sit facing each other across the table.
- Ensure every player has a drink lined up in front of them, be it beer, spirit, mixer, or a glass of wine.
- One team begins the race, and the first player should now drink their drink as fast as they can. Once complete, they must place the empty cup upside down on their head to prove it is empty.
- As soon as the first player has the cup on their head, the next person can begin their drink.
- The first team to finish all their drinks and have their cups on their heads wins the boat race.
Rules & Gameplay
Sounds simple, doesn’t it?
Well, that’s not all. As with any entertaining drinking game, there’s a catch.
The art of balancing a cup on your head might not come as easy to some as it does to others, especially the more alcohol is consumed, and if your cup falls off, you’ll have to pay the price.
Each time a cup falls off someone’s head, or a drink is spilled, your entire team will forfeit and have to start again, returning to the very first player.
The same goes if someone tries to cheat and alcohol spills on their head when they turn the cup upside down.
Another rule to ensure is that every player has the same sized drink, so make sure everyone’s cups are the same size, and perhaps put a fill line on each one. This way is fair game, and both teams have the chance to win.
What Happens to The Losers of The Boat Drinking Game?
The losing team in the boat race drinking game must complete a challenge at the end of the game.
You can pick whatever you like for this, but here are a few ideas I’ve used to inspire you.
- Take a shot
- Share a pitcher of cocktail made by the other team (get creative with the ingredients)
- Crack eggs on their heads
- Go to a nearby house and perform a song in a choir
- Give your phones to a member of the other team for 10 minutes (unlocked)
- Dance to a song chosen by the winning team
- Act like chickens for 2 minutes
- Swap clothes with another player from your team
In a Nutshell
Playing drinking games with companions is social and enjoyable, and boat race is an excellent game to bring to the party.
It allows everyone to have fun, get involved, and develop relationships with others.
Competition is typical in many drinking games, which I think increases the party’s excitement and energy levels, and the Boat Race drinking game is no exception. It can be a surefire way to break the ice with a new group of friends or colleagues.
However, it’s crucial to remember to drink sensibly and be aware of your limitations.
Drinking games can be enjoyable, but playing them moderately is essential to prevent any potential harm. Pace yourself and avoid consuming too much alcohol too soon.