Step back in time to the captivating realm of ancient world-themed board games, where history is about to come alive and epic tales are yet to unfold your eyes as you’re immersed in historical adventures and thrilling exploration.
So, if you’re ready to embark with me into the depths of ancient empires, conquering vast lands and forging alliances, you’ve come to the right place.
Whether you’re interested in the magnificence of ancient Egypt or fascinated by the Roman Empire, this guide’s got it all.
Now, let’s be transported through time, and give a breath of life into the past as we explore the best board games of the ancient world.
Best Ancient World-Themed Board Games
Throughout this exploration, I will introduce you to an array of enthralling ancient world board games, where we will uncover the secrets of ancient China, the gods of Egypt, and even check out one of the best chess boards I’ve ever come across.
We will engage in battle, solve mysteries, and even embark on an educational journey as we discover fun facts about ancient mythology and extraordinary legacies.
Let’s leap of faith and dive into the mesmerizing world of ancient board games in 2023!
- Ankh Gods of Egypt Board Game
- Red Raven The Ancient World Board Game
- Brother Brother Ancient Roman Gladiators 3D Chess with Glass Board
- Legacy of Yu – Solo Campaign, Ancient China Board Game
1. Ankh Gods of Egypt Board Game
Enter the mythical realm of Ankh: Gods of Egypt and immerse yourself in the gameplay, where you’ll be captivated by the strategic depth and epic clashes of forces.
I have spent hours playing this game and intend to spend many more, it just sucks you in, and each time is like a whole new experience. Every decision I made shaped the destiny of the pharaohs and civilizations alike, contributing to this game’s replayability value.
As you travel along the iconic Nile River, you will construct monumental structures and compete for influence amidst a tapestry of Egyptian mythology.
This game truly captures the essence of ancient Egypt and transports you back in time. Prepare to be swept away through history and be steeped in the ancient world.
If you search online, you will find many walkthrough videos explaining all the game’s ins and outs. Though it’s not particularly hard to understand in the first place, some of my group found these extremely helpful. However, even without these videos, it should only take you around 10 minutes to get the hang of the rules.
The game is best played with between two and five players as you face off against each other and merge with one another. The game is more suited to players over the age of 14, mainly because of the concept of the game being aimed at older kids, teens, and adults.
Inside the box is the rulebook and gameboard, a scenario book, bases, cards, dashboards, tokens, and 80 miniatures. There is also one plastic gem. Due to the number of small components, I’d advise packing this away carefully and keeping it away from young children.
- Manufacturer – CoolMiniorNot Inc
- Age Recommendation – 14 Years and Up
- Made in China
- Released in October 2021
- Playing Time – Approx 90 Minutes
- Roleplay: This is great for anyone who enjoys being in the thick of the game, as you will be taking on the role of an ancient god, competing against other gods to claim your place as the one deity.
- Play Time: 90 minutes is a perfect playtime. In my opinion, it’s just enough to immerse you in the game without being too long that you lose interest.
- Easy To Learn: Despite this having so many small components, I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to learn and teach.
- Price: Some people might not want to spend this much money on a single board game. However, I can vouch for it being good quality and worth every dime.
2. Red Raven The Ancient World Board Game
After playing The Ancient World by Red Raven Games, it has truly earned its place on my favorites list.
From the moment I opened the box, the attention to detail and quality components impressed me.
Exploring ancient civilizations, recruiting tribes, and taming colossal Titans was an immersive experience that transported me back in time.
The artwork beautifully captures the essence of the era, further enhancing the thematic immersion. The smooth gameplay flow kept the excitement alive, while the replayability factor ensured that no two games felt the same.
The Ancient World is a remarkable game that perfectly balances accessibility and depth. It’s a must-have for any board game enthusiast.
It’s evident that the designers have put careful thought into making it as user-friendly as possible. The rulebook was well-structured and explained the gameplay mechanics clearly.
This is great for both new and seasoned gamers. It’s easy to learn and play, making it perfect for casual players. At the same time, it offers strategic depth that experienced gamers will appreciate. You can enjoy it with a group of 2 to 5 players, and the game lasts around 60-90 minutes. Whether you love history or strategic challenges, this game has something for everyone.
The game includes beautifully illustrated game boards depicting ancient civilizations in stunning detail. It also features high-quality cards, meticulously crafted player tokens, and intricately designed miniatures that bring the game to life. With its immersive artwork and carefully curated components, it delivers a visually stunning and engaging experience.
- Age Recommendation – 13 Years and Up
- Manufacturer – Red Raven Games
- Made in China
- Released in May 2019
- Gameplay Time – 60 – 90 minutes
- Replayability: Because of the multiple strategies to explore and so many ancient civilizations, each game offers a totally new experience, keeping the game alive over and over again.
- Theme and Design: The artwork and imagery used in the design of this game are breathtaking; the intense colors and picturesque scenery are enough to draw you in from the get-go.
- Great for Groups: This is best played with larger groups. In my opinion, it’s the best way to enjoy the game to the fullest.
- Complexity for Beginners: While the game is accessible for casual gamers, some beginners may find the initial learning curve slightly challenging due to the depth of strategy and resource management involved.
3. Brother Brother Ancient Roman Gladiators 3D Chess With Glass Board
Now this is something a bit special, and there was absolutely no way I could write this guide without including it.
Okay, so I’ll hold my hands up and say you might have to save up a while to get your hands on this (I know I did); however, when you do, you’ve got a unique piece that you will treasure for many years to come. This could even be passed down through generations and become your own historical piece.
The whole thing is a masterpiece, and I have never been so blown away by a chess set. The craftsmanship and level of detail are remarkable.
You don’t even need to be a chess enthusiast to reap the benefits of this stunning pinnacle.
You might not even want to use this visually stunning piece to play at all, but if you do, it’s incredibly user-friendly. The board is clearly marked, and the gladiator pieces are distinct. The rules are the same as a standard game of chess, which you can adapt to suit your skill set if you wish.
I wouldn’t recommend this game for any younger children merely because of its value and the craftsmanship that has been put into the intricate design. However, anyone who understands checkers or chess can use this beautiful set.
The set comes with 32 detailed chess pieces, 16 silver, and 16 gold. You will also receive the handmade, stunning glass chess board, which appears to be suspended by Roman columns, replicating the Amphitheatres Arena.
- 3D Platform
- Made in China
- Manufacturer – BB Brother Brother
- Handmade by Artists
- Ornamental: When this set isn’t in use, you don’t need to worry about storing it inside your gaming cupboard because this set is so stunning it can sit proudly on display to impress your guests.
- Improved Skills: Chess is proven to increase memory and thinking skills, forcing us to use our brains, increasing intelligence, and preventing conditions such as Alzheimer’s Disease.
- Handmade: Each set has been carefully made by hand, meaning that no two pieces will be identical, adding to the unique factor.
- Price: Totally understandably, this might not be up everyone’s street and not something you want to splash out on.
4. Legacy of Yu – Solo Campaign, Ancient China Board Game
If you’re looking to explore the ancient world as a solo explorer, then this board game of Ancient China is ready and waiting for you to begin your voyage.
Despite being a one-player game, this doesn’t take away from the fact that it’s tense, fast-paced, totally immersive, and thrilling.
Throughout the game, you will build canals, fight the barbarians, and eventually rise to fame in ancient China, and whether you’re a winner or a loser, you’ll always feel a sense of achievement, which is what I love the most about it, and what makes it playable time and time again.
The fact that this is a one-player game makes the usability very straightforward for me, as you’re immediately removing the challenge of having to explain the rules to other people; you can go at your own pace.
This is a one-player game suitable for anyone interested in ancient China and a passion for learning and exploration. The play time is around an hour, so set yourself plenty of time, and I would personally say this would be better suited to older teens and adults. It’s certainly not something younger children should be left with because of small parts.
The game includes an intricately designed board and all the components you’ll need to play, including quest cards.
- Recommended Age – 12 Years and Up
- Manufacturer – Renegade Game Studios
- Release Date – July 2023
- Solo Player
- Progression and development: Solo campaigns often allow players to progress, unlock new content, and develop their characters or strategies over time.
- Solo playability: Designed specifically for solo play, these games offer the opportunity for enjoyable and immersive gaming experiences even when playing alone.
- Price: Some people might frown upon paying this amount for a one-player board game.
- Limited Social Interaction: Since this game is primarily designed for solo play, they may lack the social interaction and dynamic experiences that come with multiplayer board games.
- Potential complexity: This game may have some complex rules and mechanisms that require significant time and effort to understand and enjoy thoroughly.
How I Selected The Best Ancient World Board Games?
I approached the task of finding the best ancient world board games with meticulous consideration, and there were several factors I had to consider to ensure I was only recommending the top picks.
Here’s the breakdown of my evaluation:
1. Thematic Immersion
I wanted you to be truly transported to the ancient worlds, so I sought after games that offered a totally immersive experience in one way or another, be it through learning historical facts or getting stuck in with ancient civilizations.
I think it’s essential with any game that you’re drawn in from the start and that it grabs your attention and keeps you intrigued throughout. This is why I only offered a game that offers a balance of luck and skill and has the ability to provide an engaging experience from start to finish.
3. Artwork And Imagery
I know it’s not the be-all and end-all, but I think it’s hugely important for a game to be appealing to the eyes, as well as offer a great gaming experience. So I wanted to ensure all the games I reviewed were colorful and vibrant or included exciting and unique imagery relating to the ancient topic.
Frequently Asked Questions
As we reach the end of our ancient world exploration, let’s take a step back and see what other people are asking about board games of the ancient world.
As board games of the ancient world vary when it comes to skill sets, it really depends on the specific game as to who can play it. However, many are aimed at teenagers and adults.
There are certainly some ancient world board games that can be adapted to a single-player game.
Many adaptations and themes used in board games of the ancient world have been designed to dramatize history for entertainment value. However, much of this is loosely based on what the manufacturers deem historically correct.
Let’s Wrap it Up Like an Egyptian Mummy
Well, that was fun. I hope you’ve enjoyed learning about the best board games of the ancient world and that, along the way, you jotted down which ones will have a permanent place in your game cupboard.
For the record, I have neatly tucked all of them away in my game closet, ready for the next game night. I can’t wait to get them out again.
If historical games pique your interest, you should take some time out and read my article on the best historical and ancient board games that will take you back in time.